Slip and Fall Accidents at Colleges and Universities
You head off to college or university intending to obtain a degree and land your dream job. What you don’t expect to happen is an injury-causing slip and fall accident. Colleges and universities across the State of California – and the nation – owe those who traverse their fair campuses and enter their hallowed halls of learning a duty of care that includes reasonably safe conditions that allow safe passage. If you’ve been injured in a college or university slip and fall accident, don’t delay consulting with an experienced Los Angeles personal injury attorney.
Every slip and fall accident has its own unique set of circumstances, but there are several common causes that frequently play a role. These include:
- Cracked, buckled, uneven, or otherwise worn outdoor walkways
- Outdoor walkways made slippery by rain or debris
- Inadequate indoor or outdoor lighting
- Indoor tripping hazards, such as cords that cross walkways
- Flooring that is just slippery, such as overly polished flooring
- Flooring made slippery by water and debris that’s been tracked in
- Flooring made slippery by spills that aren’t cleared away promptly
- Cracked, frayed, torn, ripped, or otherwise worn floor coverings
- Uneven indoor walking surfaces
- Walkways that aren’t cleared of or are cluttered with unnecessary items
- Poorly designed, constructed, lighted, or maintained staircases
Slip and fall accidents at colleges and universities are probably more common than you think.
Is the School Responsible for My Injuries?
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident while on campus, the school very well may be responsible for the damages you’ve sustained. The elements necessary to support your personal injury claim include:
- There was an unsafe condition on campus – or on a property that is maintained by the school.
- The school knew about the hazardous condition – or reasonably should have known about it.
- The school failed to take appropriate action to remedy the danger.
- You were injured as a result.
Factors that Can Play a Role
Again, every slip and fall claim follows its own course, but several important factors can play a part in your slip and fall case, including:
- The location of the accident
- The likelihood that an accident like yours would happen in the first place
- The likelihood that someone would be harmed in such an accident
- How difficult it would have been for the school to prevent the accident that left you harmed
- The extent of the college or university’s control over the circumstances that left you harmed
Slip and fall claims tend to be remarkably complicated, but obtaining the compensation you might be entitled to is too important to ignore.
An Experienced Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
If you’ve been injured on campus, the dedicated personal injury attorneys at Jahrmarkt & Associates – proudly serving the greater Los Angeles area – are committed to applying the full force of their considerable experience, skill, and resources in pursuit of your case’s most favorable resolution. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 310-226-7676 to schedule a free case evaluation today.