Escalator Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Escalators are incredibly convenient. After all, who wants to hike up all those stairs when you can do so effortlessly on an escalator. While escalators don’t exactly strike fear in most of us, escalator accidents do happen, and they can be remarkably dangerous. Often such accidents are caused by faulty design, faulty parts, or inadequate maintenance. If an escalator leaves you injured, it’s time to consult with an experienced Los Angeles personal injury attorney.
Escalators are highly mechanized moving stairs that are made up of elaborately complex moving parts. When one link in the safety-chain is faulty, it can lead to severe problems that can leave passengers riding on the escalator in danger. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) share that in 2006 alone, escalator and elevator accidents resulted in 30 deaths and approximately 17,000 serious injuries.
As such, the enterprises responsible for escalators (whether these enterprises are private businesses or governmental entities) are responsible for maintaining the units in safe working order – according to state and municipal codes that are put in place to protect the public. Further, property owners are responsible for taking all reasonable precautions to help keep visitors safe in general – and this includes while riding on all escalators provided.
Even though few of us give much thought to our safety when we hop on an escalator, there are certain types of dangers that are closely associated with these moving stairs, including:
- A body part or an article of clothing can become tangled within an escalator’s stairs’ mechanics. The attendant crush injuries tend to be especially brutal. Because of their smaller size and curiosity, children are exceptionally vulnerable to these dangerous accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents on escalators can happen while embarking, disembarking, or anytime in between. The immense danger associated with falling forward or backward on a moving metal staircase is reasonably apparent. Abrupt changes in an escalator’s speed – or sudden starts and stops – make dangerous slip and fall accidents that much more likely.
- Escalators set at unsafe speeds leave passengers at greater risk of being injured in accidents.
- Falls over the side of escalators also happen and are often a function of poorly designed safety mechanisms.
- Escalator accidents involving electricity endanger not only passengers but also anyone who is nearby.
Consult with an Experienced Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney Today
When you allow an escalator to ferry you from one floor to another, the last thing you expect is to be injured in the process. If a property owner’s negligence, however, leaves you injured in such an accident, the dedicated personal injury attorneys at Jahrmarkt & Associates – proudly serving Los Angeles and all surrounding areas – are resolute in their commitment to helping. Our seasoned legal team has considerable experience successfully guiding these often-complicated claims to their most favorable conclusions. Your case is important, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 310-226-7676 to schedule a free case evaluation today.